Thursday, April 1, 2010

a year of perseverance

I've been working on this piece for a year now. It has gone through many a change through out that time. (So has the artist) At this point it is still not complete. There are several more details to add in the hands and eyes. I also need to do a coat of dark-value glazing. The back ground will probably see more work too.

At one point I lost hope that I would have the desire or energy to bring this painting back to life. It went along on the rollercoaster of this year with me, fluctuating between looking right and looking really wrong. Now it could turn out to be one of my favorite paintings, if not one of my best.

There is a subtlety that has come over my technique. I was resisting it for a while, just like one often does with change. At first, it was easy to think of it as being rust and frustration. I wasn't sure where I picked this new paint application up, especially since I had taken such a long break from painting. As it always seems to go, it is proving to be the change I was needing. I might be getting ahead of myself here, but there is a maturity and strength that I am finding in my new brushwork. I think it lends to my subject matter in a more refined, cohesive way. It has less of a caricature stylizing than my older work. It's pretty interesting to see my old paintings next to my new ones, the progress is obvious and that is a very satisfying feeling.

i left my old life with hopes of love, art and adventure. Indeed, this is what the last year has gifted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment