Tuesday, November 24, 2009

the yes-sayer

This is my newest painting, it's still in progress. It's only about a week old at this point. Working title is "....I am" (Feedback would be appreciated.) I'm back to doing self portraits, I'm my most available and consistent model!

My intention is to try to paint more positive images. Nothing is more affirming than "yes", right? Granted the image may make some people uncomfortable. Implied nudity will do that. The color palette is pretty cool and subdued at this stage, I'm kind of liking it but I'm worried that the flesh will look lifeless. I'm unsure how the background will develop at the moment. I'm liking the grey wash, it's kind of symbolic as to what I'm currently feeling. That could change.

More writing on the body, I can't help myself. (side note: If you haven't read Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson, I highly recommend it!) This "yes" idea has been floating around in my head and my notebooks for quite a while now, at least 6 months. I like to think of it as "yes is the answer to your question".... is the subject male, female, happy, sad, peaceful, alive, meditating? Is the subject aware of what is written on their chest? Did the subject put it there? Is the subject a willing participant to this "yes"? What does the nudity imply? Is this meant to be sexual? Is there a personal narrative involved? To that question I can say.....YES!

1 comment:

  1. Ayn,
    This is neato. I am a bit lost in terms of the art world, but I have to ask you about the placement of the word. If "yes" is your answer. Is it coming from that place on/in your body? I am just planting a seed for your energy body...yes, seems to be coming from the 4th(heart) or 5th chakra(vocal cord-ish). Or maybe it makes sense on the placement now...it is somewhere between your heart and your voice. Just curious!? -Keren

    ReplyDelete